Reporters Detained At Gunpoint At California Space Force Base
5 hours ago
Five journalists and two military members were briefly detained at gunpoint after security officers mistakenly believed they were attempting to illegally enter Vandenberg Space Force Base in California.
The group had been invited to the base Monday to cover a groundbreaking ceremony for a new training facility for missile operators. They were traveling in a convoy escorted by uniformed public affairs personnel when security officers stopped them at the entrance.
Reporters said officers pointed guns and ordered them out of their vehicles with their hands raised as sirens sounded and security barriers went up. The two military members were handcuffed, while the civilian journalists were ordered to sit on a curb.
The group was detained for more than 30 minutes and ultimately missed the event. Everyone was released without further incident after security officials determined they were authorized to be on the base.
Vandenberg officials acknowledged a breakdown in coordination and said the installation commander has ordered a full review of procedures involving invited media.
Base officials stressed that security personnel must treat potential unauthorized entry as a legitimate threat until it can be ruled out.
The group had been invited to the base Monday to cover a groundbreaking ceremony for a new training facility for missile operators. They were traveling in a convoy escorted by uniformed public affairs personnel when security officers stopped them at the entrance.
Reporters said officers pointed guns and ordered them out of their vehicles with their hands raised as sirens sounded and security barriers went up. The two military members were handcuffed, while the civilian journalists were ordered to sit on a curb.
The group was detained for more than 30 minutes and ultimately missed the event. Everyone was released without further incident after security officials determined they were authorized to be on the base.
Vandenberg officials acknowledged a breakdown in coordination and said the installation commander has ordered a full review of procedures involving invited media.
Base officials stressed that security personnel must treat potential unauthorized entry as a legitimate threat until it can be ruled out.